- Prep time 20 minutes
- Makes 12 almond butter cups
These chocolate almond butter cups are vegan, gluten-free, free of refined sugar, and perfect for people with peanut allergies!
My oldest daughter, Grace, absolutely loves peanut butter. (I mean who doesn’t?!). Her favorite Halloween candy is Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups. But ever since I have been sick, we have been avoiding peanuts (and Halloween candy in general).
With Halloween coming up quickly, we decided to make our own version of Reece’s (that we could enjoy). We subbed almond butter instead of peanut butter, but if you don’t love almond butter, you can easily replace it with any nut butter you want. These chocolate almond butter cups are soo easy to make, and taste just as good as Reece’s. —dotandolive
dark chocolate chips
coconut oil, melted
- almond butter filling
coconut oil, melted
sea salt for topping (optional)
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Combine the melted coconut oil with the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Place the bowl in the microwave and heat in 30-second increments (stirring in between) until the chocolate is almost melted. Remove from microwave and stir until smooth.
- Scoop a layer of chocolate into each baking cup (add more or less chocolate depending on your preference). Make sure the bottom is thick enough so the almond butter does not show through.
- Place in freezer for 5-10 minutes, until chocolate has set up.
- While the chocolate is in the freezer, combine the almond butter, melted coconut oil, and maple syrup and mix until combined.
- Take the chocolate out of the freezer and scoop about 1 tbsp of the almond butter mixture into each cup. Spread almond butter with a spoon until the surface has flattened out a little.
- Spoon about 1 tbsp of melted chocolate over the top of the almond butter (add more chocolate if needed to cover the almond butter.)
- Top with a sprinkle of sea salt (optional).
- Freeze until set – for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from cupcake liners and enjoy immediately, or store in the refrigerator.