Cooking with distilled spirits is what we do...adding flavor and aroma to a range of meals and treats that we craft in our PNW rustic test kitchen.
We use this "adult only" crystal ice as a palate cleanser between flavorful dishes or simply as a fresh, easy, and slightly sweet treat during BBQ season, when the weather is warm and the nights have grown longer.
We serve it in shot glasses, but feel free to size up or serve it in traditional small ice cream bowls with spoons. —Butter & Bacon
- Prep time 45 minutes
- Cook time 25 minutes
- Serves 4 to 6
balsamic vinegar (any age)
lightly sweetened high quality rum
1 1/14 cups
fresh seedless watermelon juice
freshly squeezed lemon juice
unflavored high quality vodka
fresh mint, minced to garnish
- In a small saucepan over high heat, bring the balsamic vinegar and rum to a boil, reduce to medium-low heat, simmer until syrup is reduced by half, cover, remove from heat to cool.
- Cut fruit of melon into cubes, liquefy in a blender, strain to remove solids.
- Once the syrup is cool...in a mixing bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of the rum syrup, the melon juice, fresh lemon juice, and vodka, stir well to combine.
- Pour mixture into a small container that can be covered and frozen, we use a BPA-free storage container. Select a container appropriately sized so that the liquid can form a shallow layer no more than 1 inch high at the bottom of the container.
- Freeze for at least 3 hours. Remove container from the freezer and turn gently to create a crystallized fruity slush. Break up any solids. The Melon Ice can be served immediately or returned to the freezer for use another time...it keeps well.
- Garnish with fresh mint and enjoy!