Author Notes: To bake apples, core, quarter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar (about 2 tbs of sugar, 1 tsp of cinnamon) and bake in the oven at 325 degrees for about 30 mins, or until softened. Baking the apples will whet your appetit for some delicious apple-y hot drinks before a crackling fire! —ErinC
cups hot water
peeled and cored apples, baked see note above
ounces apple jack
pinches freshly grated nutmeg
cup heavy cream, whipped
- Add sugar to about 2 Tbs boiled water, enough to dissolve the sugar
- Muddle the sugar/water mixture with the cored, baked apples
- Add the apple jack and continue muddling the mixture.
- Stir in about 1 1/4 c boiled hot water.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the solids from the mixture
- Top off each drink with the remaining hot boiled water.
- Top each drink with a dallop of whipped cream and some freshly grated nutmeg
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A & M's Annual Smackdown / Your Best Hot Toddy