- Serves about 16 cakes
Cupcakes are all the rage and so much fun to make with kids. I invited 7 friends of my 8 year old granddaughter for what they called a “Cupcake Workshop”. We had an absolutely brilliant time.
I wanted them to actually do the cupcakes, not only decorate them. So instead of a cupcake mixture which needs an electric mixer, I used a simple muffin recipe that doesn’t need much beating,
I made the buttercream previously because it had to be beaten with an electric mixer. I divided the buttercream in 7 bowls and gave the girls the food colouring so they would make their own coloured buttercream. I used bowls with different types of decoration possibilities and each decorated their own “cupcakes”.
This is just an idea that really worked so well, that I wanted to share with you because it was so much fun and so easy. Hope you get the time to enjoy this with your children or grandchildren.
—Maria Teresa Jorge
- Vanilla Buttercream
butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups
all purpose flour
large eggs beaten
unsalted butter (1 stick butter)
lemon - juice
- Beat the butter in an electric mixer until fluffy. Add half the icing sugar, milk, vanilla extract and beat until smooth. Add the remaining of the sugar and beat again until creamy and no lumps.
- Divide in bowls and add the food colouring and mix with a whisk.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare a muffin pan and line with paper muffin cups.
- Melt the butter very slightly, to get a cream consistency. Allow to cool.
- Beat the eggs.
- Add the lemon juice to the milk and set aside to curdle slightly.
- Sift the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add the 2 eggs, the milk, lemon juice and melted butter and quickly stir to blend – don’t worry about any lumps.
- Pour the batter no more then 2/3 of the way up the paper cups (you need a flat surface for decoration rather then a big round top) and bake for about 40 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before icing.
- Cover the muffins with buttercream, and decorate to your liking.
- If using sprinkles, it’s easier to put them in bowls and dip the buttercream muffins in the bowl.