- Prep time 10 minutes
- Cook time 45 minutes
- Serves 8 to 10
These brownies are the most decadent, soft, rich, and easy no-sugar-added sweet treats ever. I remember worrying whether my first vegan brownies would turn out perfectly chewy and soft. But as I practiced more, I found ever-easier ways to whip them up without compromising their amazing taste.
Want to make these gluten-free? Simply reduce the amount of water and substitute traditional all-purpose flour—via a one-to-one swap—with a baking flour blend or a non-gluten flour such as almond or coconut. Just remember that when using a GF flour, you’ll need to add xanthan gum.
Leftovers are best stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. For longer storage, you can refrigerate for up to 5 days. Warm slightly once ready to serve. In addition, you can freeze these beauties: Just add them to a freezer-safe airtight container and they can last for up to 3 months. To thaw, place in the fridge overnight. —Shanika Graham-White
Test Kitchen Notes
This recipe is shared in partnership with Lily's Sweets. —The Editors
organic all-purpose flour
vegan butter, melted (plus more for greasing the pan)
Lily’s Chocolate Salted Caramel Flavor Baking Chips
Lily’s Salted Caramel Extra Dark Chocolate Bar
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8- x 8-inch baking pan with vegan butter and line with parchment paper.
- Add the flaxseed meal and 8 tablespoons warm water to a small bowl, stirring until combined. Let the mixture sit for 5 to 10 minutes until it thickens and looks paste-like. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter and erythritol, whisking until combined and wet-looking.
- To the butter-erythritol mixture, add the flaxseed meal mixture, almond milk, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder to the bowl, mixing together with a spatula or wooden spoon until fully combined. Note: Batter will be thick and wet.
- Add the salted caramel chocolate chips and fold in gently.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan; gently and evenly spread and press it into place. Evenly cover top of the batter with chopped chocolate bar and lightly press down.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out mostly clean.
- Remove pan from oven and let cool for about 20 minutes before lifting brownies out of the pan.
- Let the brownies cool for an additional 10 to 15 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve and enjoy!