Homemade gnocchi is an amazing and proper comfort food. They are quick to cook and very cheap to make. The process of this authentic dish is pretty easy, fun and therapeutic to do. After boiling, peeling and mashing the potatoes all you have left to do is make the gnocchi dough, shaping, boil for 30 seconds and toss them in a butter-thyme sauce. —Our Cooking Journey
- Prep time 45 minutes
- Cook time 5 minutes
- Serves 4
- To make the gnocchi dough
old potatoes ( boiled, peeled and mashed)
whole medium egg
- For the sauce
knob of butter
- First of all clean and cook the potato in a large amount of water. Bring it to a boil a cook them until soft all the way through the middle of each potato. Peel and mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Set on a side to cool down for 10 min.
- For make the gnocchi dough: In a bowl mix together the mashed potatoes, 1 whole egg, 1 egg yolk, 350 g of flour and some grated Parmesan lightly knead the dough until all the ingredients are perfectly combined. Divide the dough into 4 pieces, dust the table with some extra flour or semolina and roll each piece into a long sausages, 2 cm thick. Then cut the sausage shape into all equal pieces, about 2 cm each.
- At this point you can leave them like that or shape them however you like - you can lightly press them with a fork and get a similar shape to the ones we’ve made here.
- Next put a tea towel on a tray and dust some flour or semolina on top. Position every gnocchi on top of the tea towel, trying to keep them separate from each other to prevent them sticking together.
- To cook the gnocchi: Bring a pan of salted water to the boil then reduce it to a medium heat. Add the gnocchi to the boiling water and at the same time add the butter to a hot pan. Once the butter is melted add a few spoons of the starchy water from the gnocchi cooking water into the pan with the butter.
- At this point your gnocchi should be ready and floating on top of the water - transfer them straight into the pan and toss them well until you get a nice creamy sauce from the butter and the starchy water. Ground some black pepper on top, toss again.
- Serve and grate some Parmesan on top and sprinkle the thyme. Finally, drizzle 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil for each portion.
- Buon Appetito!