Author Notes: My grandma's goodness hits the spot on any winter evening and offers a wonderful lunch at home or the office. I grew up on this simple family recipe and it warms the belly and the heart after ski days in the Sierra Nevada.Eat it by the cup, bowl or with a salad and straight-from-the-oven bread. —Nutsaboutgoodbites
Serves: 4 to 6
pound dry lentils
carrots (peeled and cut in rounds)
cup chopped onions (white or yellow)
cup grated Parmesan (optional)
cup spinach (optional)
Loaf of bread or croutons made from whole wheat toast (Optional)
- Saute chopped onions and garlic in olive oil. Add carrots and cook for 10 to 12 minutes until the carrots soften.
- Add lentils and 6 cups of water.
- Cook for 45 minutes until lentils soften.
- OPTIONAL: Top with fresh chopped spinach leaves, homemade whole wheat croutons or freshly grated parmesan cheese. Excellent served with fresh bread, a salad or just by the bowlful.
- Enjoy leftover lentil soup with crushed tomatoes or a splash of your favorite marinara sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils