Author Notes: I love lentil soup or stew, however you want to call it. I usually just use whatever I have around the kitchen and add it. One thing I notice about lentils is that they seem to need a bit of acid to bring out the flavor, so I've found that oranges, or clementines which are plentiful now, do the trick for me. Sometimes I add a smoked sausage or a few slices of bacon, too. —moak
- 1 cup lentil
- 1/3 cup pearled barley
- 1/2 onion, your choice of type
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, sliced how you like them
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- salt to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 orange, peeled and segmented and cut in thirds
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- Saute onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add carrots and saute for a few minutes more.
- Add chicken broth, then the rest of the ingredients except for parmesan and oranges. Cook on low/medium heat covered for about an hour, then add oranges.
- Serve with parmesan.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils