Bring home classic deli flavors with this fuss-free method: Simply layer thinly sliced corned beef, funky Swiss cheese, and zippy sauerkraut on Arnold®, Brownberry®, or Oroweat® 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Buns and then bake on a rimmed sheet pan. It’s a hands-off way to create a bunch of warm and savory sandwiches in no time.
Of course it wouldn’t be a Reuben without that signature dressing. We've balanced the ketchup-and-pickle relish sweetness of a traditional Russian dressing with a splash of apple cider vinegar, a little extra horseradish, and a dash of cayenne. Those flavors, plus savory corned beef and the hearty Arnold®, Brownberry®, or Oroweat® whole-wheat buns (which are simply baked and perfectly shaped to hold in all those super-delicious juices and flavors), make for a lunch or dinner you'll be dreaming of for days afterward.
As a bonus, these sandwiches freeze surprisingly well. Just leave off the dressing, then wrap the baked, assembled sandwiches individually in foil and pop into a zip-top bag. They'll last in the freezer for up to a month. To serve, thaw them completely, warm in a low oven, and then add the dressing for the full experience. —Sarah Wharton
Test Kitchen Notes
- Prep time 10 minutes
- Cook time 15 minutes
- Serves 12
Arnold®, Brownberry®, or Oroweat® 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Buns
deli corned beef
slices deli Swiss cheese (about 1 ounce each)
small shallot, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons
apple cider vinegar
- Heat oven to 350˚F. Split the buns and place the top buns cut-side up on a rimmed baking sheet. Place bottom buns cut-side up on a second rimmed baking sheet.
- Top the bottom buns evenly with corned beef. Top each with about 1/4 cup sauerkraut and 1 slice of cheese.
- Transfer both baking sheets to the oven. Bake the top buns until toasted, about 10 minutes. Bake the bottom buns until the cheese is melted and meat is warmed through, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the mayonnaise with remaining ingredients. (The total dressing yield is about 1 cup.)
- When the top buns are toasted, remove from the oven and spread with dressing to taste. Remove bottom buns from the oven and top with the dressed buns. Serve immediately.