Author Notes: My great-grandmother, grandmother and Tia use to make this soup on a cold wintery day. I have a hard time finding good Basque chorizo, which they used, so I substitute it with Portuguese chorizo. If you can find the Basque chorizo, it is a little different, a bit more spicy. —ChezUs
Serves: 6 large or 8 small
tablespoons olive oil
medium leek, cleaned and finely minced
stalks of celery, cleaned and cut into small dice
carrots, cleaned and cut into small dice
cloves garlic, minced
large chorizo, cut into small slices
cup green lentils
ounces chicken stock
whole dry-farmed or roma tomato
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot, add leek, celery and carrots. Cook over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chorizo, stir and continue to cook over low heat; for about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and lentils, stir and cook for about 1 minute, over low heat.
- Add the stock and stir. Continue to cook over low heat, for about 30 minutes.
- Add the tomato, stir and continue to cook over low heat, for another 15 minutes or until the lentils are cooked and the tomato has broken down.
- Serve. Eat.