This sizzling tofu made from silky soft tofu is delicious, super simple, and flavorful. The bubbling shiitakes in a velvety sauce will make this an unforgettable meal and a bite of this definitely brings me down memory lane.
Traditionally, this dish is made with Japanese soft tofu that's deep-fried then placed on a thin layer of egg. Today, I’m recreating it using silken tofu and a plant-based egg.
What is so special about this dish is that it’s always cooked on a cast-iron or fajita skillet and served on a wooden plate—but you can feel free to cook this using a normal pan if you don’t have a cast iron. As a kid, I always looked forward to the sizzling sound and the bubbling sauce when the waiter brought this dish to the table. Enjoy this meal with a bowl of rice.
Test Kitchen Notes
An alternate way to cook the tofu – Coat tofu with cornstarch and deep fry until golden brown. This is the normal way most chefs prepare this tofu in Malaysia. —The Editors
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
11-ounce packages Soon tofu or use Silken/Soft tofu
plant-based egg (I used Just Egg)
firm tofu, crumbled (optional)
dried Shiitake mushrooms, softened and chopped
vegan "oyster" sauce
1 3/4 cups
- Prepare the tofu. Remove tofu from its packaging, and cut it into thick circles or into your desired shapes. Please note that soon tofu is very fragile so handle it with care.
- Place tofu circles in a heated non-stick pan. Pan-fry the tofu without oil to seal the outer layer. Once you see a thin crust forms, add a drizzle of oil and continue to cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
- Prepare the sauce. In a heated non-stick pan, add in the mashed firm tofu, if using. Once the tofu crumbles turn slightly yellow, add a drizzle of oil and continue to cook until golden brown.
- Add in the mushrooms and carrots and continue to cook until the mushrooms are fragrant. Drizzle in the soy sauce and add in the water, then season with vegan "oyster" sauce and white pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a rolling boil, and cook for another minute until the sauce is slightly reduced. Taste test and season if needed.
- Swirl in the cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce. Transfer to a bowl until ready to use.
- Put it all together. Heat a 10" cast-iron or fajita skillet and add a drizzle of oil. Pour in the plant-based egg to cover the whole skillet.
- Once the egg is almost set, add in the prepared tofu and slather the sauce over the tofu.
- Let the mixture cook for another minute or so and serve warm with rice. Enjoy!