- Prep time 10 minutes
- Cook time 40 minutes
- Serves 4
This Greek-style one-pot dinner finishes crispy-skinned chicken thighs on a bed of white beans, artichokes, feta, and lemon slices that make a built-in side dish. The beans gain a soft, mashed consistency that’s infused with the flavors of the seared chicken and melted feta, and mixing in slices of lemon adds brightness and acid. You can eat the softened rinds as part of the dish, or skip them if you find them too bitter. Make sure to push out any lemon seeds before adding to the pan.
If you buy artichokes in water, press them with a paper towel to remove any excess liquid before cooking. You can do the same with oil-packed ones, but the oil can be a nice addition. Keep some crusty bread handy to soak up anything left on the bottom of the pan—it's wonderfully flavorful. —yasminfahr
2 1/2 pounds
skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (about 6-8 thighs)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
cloves garlic, grated or minced
lemon, zested and cut into thin rounds
14-ounce can artichokes hearts, quartered, and drained well
15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
red pepper flakes
low-sodium broth or water
fresh parsley or mint leaves and tender stems, roughly chopped
- Pat the chicken dry, trim excess fat and season generously with salt, pepper, oregano, garlic, and lemon zest.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or a heavy-weight 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the chicken, skin-side down, and cook without moving until they easily release from the bottom and are browned and crispy, 8 to 10 minutes. It’s okay if they are snug, they will shrink while cooking.
- Turn over and cook until the bottom is lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove and set aside on a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium, then add the artichokes, white beans, and lemon slices to the pan, seasoning with salt and red pepper flakes, cook, stirring occasionally, until the canned taste cooks off, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in 1/2 cup broth, using a wooden spoon to scrape up anything on the bottom. Stir in half the feta, then nestle the chicken on top, skin side up, pouring in any pan juices and reducing the heat if the bottom mixture starts to bubble excessively (small bubbles are fine), until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 to 12 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with the remaining feta and herbs, and serve.