Vegan cola cake
March 2, 2021
- Prep time 10 minutes
- Cook time 30 minutes
- makes One standard loaf cake
We wanted to make a cola cake for a friends’ birthday, but the internet only had recipes for chocolate cakes with cola in them. This is based on a vegan gingerbread recipe and adapted to add flavours from cola — vanilla, cinnamon, lemon, along with the cola hit that comes from the soda syrup.
We ad-libbed an icing made from (vegan) butter, icing sugar, lemon juice, a bit of water and cola syrup, which worked well. —Yuckoryum
What You'll Need
- Dry ingredients (sift together)
1 1/2 cups
all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons
- Wet ingredients (mix together)
soy / almond / any non-dairy milk
cola syrup (we used Sodastream brand)
zest of one large lemon
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and grease a loaf pan with vegetable oil
- Add lemon juice to milk and leave to curdle for a few minutes
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. In a medium sized bowl, mix together wet ingredients (including milk and lemon juice mix)
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Fold the mixture together then gently mix with a whisk until the ingredients are combined and there are no more lumps. Be careful not to beat the mixture too much or your cake will be rubbery. The mixture should be fairly runny and pourable
- Bake for about 30mins (or until skewer comes out clean).
See what other Food52ers are saying.