Author Notes: A delicate yet flavorful soup that I've honed over the years. Quick and easy, this meal is a staple in my home. I find it extremely satisfying and comforting, especially on cold winter days. It also lends well to variation of locally available and/or on-hand ingredients. —Xepora
cup red lentils
tablespoons olive oil
cup butternut squash or sweet potato (diced)
uncooked Italian-flavored chicken sausage links (casing removed)
fennel bulb (small/medium-sized) or 1 teaspoon fennel or anise seeds.
salt and pepper (to taste)
tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- Sort lentils to remove any small rocks and/or sticks that may have been missed in the packaging.
- Saute onion, celery and butternut squash in olive oil.
- Add sausage and cook thoroughly.
- Add lentils and coat.
- Add water, fennel, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over medium/medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft. To thicken soup, mash a portion of the ingredients in the pot and let sit for another 10 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils