Author Notes: . I decided to make soup because it is very cold here tonight. So , this is a very basic lentil soup, but it has lots of great flavors. I suppose if you crave meat you can add sausage or meatballs . —dymnyno
1 pound green lentils
3 cups sweet yellow onions, med dice
2 cups carrots, shredded
40 ounces chicken stock
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 quart canned tomatoes, homemade, hopefully
water as needed
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
salt and pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil
- Put the olive oil in a large pot and add the the onions and the carrots and saute until translucent. Add the thyme...do not add too much thyme...it can be overpowering!
- Add the lentils and add the chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the apple cider vinegar. It will give a little tang to the soup.
- Continue cooking and add water as needed , so that the lentils do not become too thick.
- When the lentils are tender, add the tomatoes and continue to cook.
- Add more water to keep a soup consistency.
- Simmer until all the flavors are incorporated. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in large bowls and garnish with Greek yoghurt and minced thyme. (Just a little )
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils