- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 15 minutes
- Serves 4 sandwiches
These easy sandwiches capture all the flavors and textures of a classic chicken Caesar salad in handheld form. Lightly toasted Potato Sandwich Buns from Arnold®, Brownberry®, and Oroweat® stand in for the croutons—if you like more crunch, toast them slightly longer.
Instead of drizzling dressing over the chicken, here you’ll poach chicken then toss it with a quick Caesar-inspired dressing; the slightly warm chicken soaks up the dressing, making every bite perfectly packed with flavor.
Using bottled mayonnaise (instead of egg yolks or oil) is a shortcut to get the same lusciousness of both ingredients into the dressing without as much work—perfect for weeknight dinners or lunches for a crowd. A few little flavor boosters (Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and capers) are key to elevating these sandwiches beyond the basic.
—Posie (Harwood) Brien
Test Kitchen Notes
boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
2 1/4 teaspoons
kosher salt, divided
oil-packed anchovy fillets
freshly squeezed lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
freshly grated Parmesan, divided
Arnold®, Brownberry®, or Oroweat® Potato Sandwich Buns
Olive oil, for brushing the buns
- Place the chicken in a medium saucepan and add enough cold water to cover the chicken by about 1 inch (this should be about 4 cups of water). Season the water with 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Bring the water to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover the pot, and cook for about 10 minutes—the internal temperature of the chicken should register 165°F on a digital thermometer. Transfer the chicken to a plate and let cool until just slightly warmer than room temperature.
- While the chicken cools, make the dressing: Mince the anchovies and garlic together with ¼ teaspoon salt; once minced, use the flat side of a knife to mash them into a rough paste.
- Combine the paste with the lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper, and whisk well to combine. Whisk in the mayonnaise and ¼ cup of the Parmesan.
- Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, use two forks to shred it into bite-size pieces. Add the dressing to the shredded chicken and toss to combine.
- Toast the buns lightly (you can do this either in a toaster oven, on a sheet pan under the broiler, or in a skillet over high heat). Brush the cut side of the toasted buns lightly with olive oil.
- Divide the chicken mixture evenly between the bottom buns, then top with capers, the remaining Parmesan cheese, and the romaine leaves. Place the top buns on each sandwich and serve.