- Prep time 30 minutes
- Cook time 30 minutes
- Serves 2
This is a simple recipe combining grilled shrimp with grilled peach halves. What makes it pop is the Thai inspired peach puree/sauce adding a spicy sidekick to the sweet peaches. This was kind of concocted on the fly, using what I had for spices in the drawer or in the fridge. Use as much or as little chili garlic sauce and spice blend as you wish. If you don't use the chili garlic sauce, simply substitute a few cloves of garlic. The Thai seasoning paste is store bought and has cilantro, ginger, and lemongrass...the latter probably the biggest reason I used it. The Thai spice blend is a supermarket product. There's plenty of DIY recipes on the net, but they can get complicated. —Pete
large, ripe peaches
1 - 2
olive oil plus more for brushing
garlic chili sauce
3 1/2 teaspoons
Thai seasoning paste (such as Gourmet Garden)
1 -2 teaspoons
Thai spice blend (store bought or homemade)
large shrimp, peeled (tail on) and deveined
1" knob fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat. Soak bamboo skewers in water.
- Cut peaches in half and remove stone. Set aside 4 halves for grilling. Cut a small flat on the bottom of each half to help steady it once plated. Peel skin from remaining peaches and coarsely chop the flesh
- Zest and juice lime to obtain 1 tsp zest (packed) and 3 tbsp lime juice
- Slice scallion, keep white and pale green parts separate from green parts
- Combine 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp lime juice, 1 ½ tsp chili garlic paste, 1 tsp fish sauce, 2 tsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp honey, and 1 tsp Thai Seasoning paste and up to 1 tsp Thai spice blend (to taste) in a medium bowl. Add shrimp and toss to thoroughly coat. Thread the shrimp onto pre-soaked skewers and place onto a platter. Drizzle any marinade over the shrimp and place in refrigerator while preparing sauce.
- Pulse chopped peach, white and pale green parts of scallion, 2 tbsp honey, 1 ½ tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp fish sauce, and 1 tbsp lime juice in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the grated ginger and 1 tsp lime zest. Cook for two minutes. Add 1 ½ tsp garlic chile paste and 1 tsp Thai seasoning paste (or lemon grass or omit) and up to 1 tsp Thai spice blend and cook an additional minute. Add the peach purée to the saucepan, rinse the processor container with ¼ cup water and add to the puree in the pan. Cook, whisking often, until starting to bubble around edges, about 4 minutes. Add ¼ tsp sesame oil and keep sauce at a low simmer for another 5 minutes. Stir in 1 tsp lime juice and let sauce cool. Taste sauce and adjust with salt and pepper, or additional lime or honey if desired.
- Brush peaches with oil and grill cut side. Cook until charred. Rotate with tongs to make crosshatches (about 4 – 5 minutes). Flip the peaches, cover the grill and cook an additional 2 – 3 minutes. Remove the peaches to a platter. Grill the shrimp until charred and cooked through, about 3 - 4 minutes per side.
- Spoon some puree onto serving dish and place 2 grilled peaches onto the sauce. Drizzle sauce over peaches, pooling sauce in the center of the peach. Top with grilled shrimp. Scatter green parts of onion over the shrimp and serve with lime wedges and remaining sauce.