my grandma, dadi, makes this dal soup with methi, fresh green fenugreek, which is in season right now in bombay (winter). —janki
- Serves 4
toor dal (in english, split pigeon pea lentil) or another dal lentil, washed and picked through
medium onions, chopped
cloves garlic, chopped
1 inch pieces
ghee (clarified butter) or oil
(medium) methi (fresh fenugreek), chopped fine
whole kashmiri chilis, deseeded
cilantro, chopped, for garnish
juice from 2 limes
In This Recipe
- cook the toor dal (or other lentil of your choice) with a little water until the lentils are soft and tender but not too mushy.
- in a mixer/blender, make a paste of chopped onion, 1/2 cinnamon stick, cloves, garlic, ginger, cilantro, coconut, and red chiles.
- heat 4 tbsp. ghee or oil in a 4 quart saucepan. fry the blended mixture for 3-4 minutes, then add the curry powder and fresh chopped fenugreek and cook for a few minutes more.
- add the turmeric into the mixture, cook for 30 seconds, then add the cooked daal and as much water as you would like, depending on how thick you like your daal. add salt to taste, and then add the sugar and lime juice.
- garnish with more cilantro and serve hot, with some brown rice.