Watch This Recipe
Caramelized Banana Pudding Pie From Millie Peartree
- Prep time 8 hours 10 minutes
- Cook time 22 minutes
- makes One 9-inch pie
- Pudding & Caramelized Bananas
large egg yolks
pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups
half and half
bananas, sliced into 1-inch-thick rounds
light brown sugar
ground cinnamon, plus more for serving
fine sea salt
- 'Nilla Wafers Crust
'Nilla wafers (approximately 40 wafers), plus more for layering onto the pie (purchase two boxes)
(1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
In This Recipe
- Make the pudding: In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add the half-and-half and egg yolks, and whisk to combine. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and pudding-like, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Cool slightly, then place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding and refrigerate until cold.
- Meanwhile, make the caramelized bananas: In a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add bananas, brown sugar, cinnamon, remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon remaining sea salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until well combined, about 2 minutes. Let cool completely at room temperature.
- Next, prepare the crust: Preheat oven to 350°F and line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- Add 'Nilla wafers to a food processor and pulse until crumbs. (If you don’t have a food processor, you can crush them in a large zip-top bag with a rolling pin.) Add the cookie crumbs to a large bowl and stir in melted butter.
- Press mixture firmly into your springform pan, making sure it gets up the sides. Bake for 10 minutes, then allow to cool completely on a wire rack before adding the custard filling.
- Assemble the pie: Spread half of the banana mixture into an even layer on top of the crust and cover with half of the pudding. Cover the pudding with an even layer of the ‘Nilla wafers, Repeat procedure with remaining bananas and pudding. Chill for 4 to 6 hours, or up to overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove the pie from the springform mold. Garnish with crumbled vanilla wafers and sprinkle with additional cinnamon. Serve with unsweetened whipped cream, if using.