Don’t splurge on Medjool dates for this cake. The cheaper, more conventional dates are perfect here. —Samantha Seneviratne
Test Kitchen Notes
Watch This Recipe
Date Snacking Cake With Brown Sugar Glaze
- Prep time 10 minutes
- Cook time 10 minutes
- Serves 8 to 10
- Date Cake
unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pan
pitted dates, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons
large eggs, at room temperature
pure vanilla extract
- Brown Sugar Glaze
plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar (light or dark)
plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
In This Recipe
- Butter and line a 9-inch square baking dish with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch border on two sides. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In small saucepan, combine the dates and 1 cup water and bring to a simmer over medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the dates begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the baking soda. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in the sour cream, vanilla, and softened dates.
- Add the flour mixture to the date mixture and beat to combine. Transfer to the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Prepare the glaze. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the sugar, heavy cream, and salt and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, until thickened slightly and golden brown in color, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Using the parchment overhang, lift the cake out onto a plate. Pour the glaze over the top and serve.
- This cake will keep for 2 to 3 days, tightly covered at room temperature.