- Prep time 20 minutes
- Cook time 35 minutes
- Serves One 8- x 8-inch pan
Broccoli and cheddar bring to mind two associations for me: the chunky broccoli cheddar soup from Panera Bread that my brother ordered on repeat as a kid, and broccoli florets doused in a very orange cheese sauce (I can’t say I ever fully understood the latter). Though I’ve historically never been a huge fan of the broccoli-and-cheddar flavor combination, this savory, fall-friendly snack bread has made me reconsider any doubts I’ve had about cruciferous vegetables and cheese up to this point.
Baked in an 8- x 8-inch square pan, this broccoli and cheddar snack bread is inspired by a simple breakfast bread my grandma would make using Jiffy’s corn muffin mix and frozen broccoli. Served by the slice, it was a comforting, tasty way to ease into the day. In my homemade rendition, a combination of flour and yellow cornmeal yields a familiar but not-quite-cornbread bake that benefits texturally from a trifecta of buttermilk, sour cream, and an extra yolk. Chopped broccoli and shredded sharp cheddar are both folded into the batter and sprinkled on top before baking, ensuring plenty of broccoli-and-cheese flavor in each bite, and with the LG STUDIO Built-in Double Wall Oven, you can expect well-baked, delicious results every time.
Whether you’re in the market for an autumn-appropriate potluck dish or an easy baking project for the weekend, this cheesy, broccoli-laden twist on cornbread is a cozy, satisfying side that delivers. Serve the bread with soup or stew, alongside roasted meat, or simply on its own for breakfast or a hearty snack—the moist, savory squares will disappear before you know it.
Note: If using frozen broccoli, soak them in warm water to quickly thaw before trimming the stems off and chopping the florets into pieces.
Test Kitchen Notes
This recipe is shared in partnership with LG STUDIO, and features their Double Built-in Wall Oven. —The Editors
(1 cup) all-purpose flour
(½ cup) yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons
Freshly ground black pepper
(¾ cup) buttermilk, at room temperature
(½ cup) full-fat sour cream, at room temperature
large egg plus 1 yolk, at room temperature
(2 tablespoons) granulated sugar
(1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
1 1/2 cups
roughly chopped (about ½-inch pieces) fresh or frozen broccoli florets, divided
1 1/4 cups
shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8- x 8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, line the pan with parchment paper, and grease the parchment.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, garlic powder, and a few cranks of freshly ground black pepper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the buttermilk, sour cream, and egg and yolk. Add the sugar and honey, and whisk until combined.
- Carefully pour in the melted butter and whisk until completely smooth.
- Gradually whisk in the dry ingredients, mixing just until no flour patches or large lumps remain (don’t overmix). Gently fold in 1 cup of the broccoli pieces and 1 cup of the shredded cheese with a rubber spatula.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Evenly sprinkle the top with the remaining ½ cup broccoli pieces and ¼ cup cheese.
- Bake for 33 to 35 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Loosen the edges with a small offset spatula and transfer the bread to a rack. This will keep for 2 days in an airtight container.