If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For my birthday last January, I decided to make a chocolate-orange birthday cake with orange ice cream. This is a recipe I adapted from Gourmet. I've made it with both allspice and ground cardamom, and I love the flavor and fragrance of the cardamom--and it goes particularly well with my chocolate-orange birthday cake. The Cointreau ups the orange flavor and keeps the ice cream from freezing too hard. January may be too cold for ice cream, but it's a great time for citrus. —drbabs
Makes: 1 quart
large oranges, preferably organic
cups half and half (or 1 cup heavy cream and 1 cup whole milk)
pinch kosher salt
cup agave nectar
cup granulated sugar
tablespoon Cointreau or other orange flavored liqueur
large egg yolks
teaspoon ground cardamom
- Finely grate 2 tablespoons zest from oranges, then halve oranges and squeeze enough juice to measure 1/2 cup.
- Bring half and half, agave nectar, a pinch of salt, and orange zest to a boil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan, then remove from heat and let steep 30 minutes.
- Beat together yolks and 1/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until thick and pale, about 1 minute. Add half and half mixture in a stream, whisking constantly until combined well. Pour mixture into same saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture coats back of spoon and registers 175°F on thermometer (Don't let it boil). Remove from heat and pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a pitcher. Refrigerate till cold.
- Stir in orange juice and ground cardamom and freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Freeze for 2 hours before serving. (Or soft-serve it right away!)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom