Watch This Recipe
Shrimp & Masa Grits With Chorizo
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 45 minutes
- Serves 4
harina de maíz, such as Bob’s Red Mill Masa Harina or old-fashioned grits
rendered lard, bacon drippings, or olive oil
1 1/2 pounds
large (16/20) shrimp, shelled and deveined
large red bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
white onion, roughly chopped
garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 to 2
jalapeños, thinly sliced
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
dry white wine
scallions, thinly sliced
In This Recipe
- Bring milk, 2 cups water, 2 3/4 teaspoons salt, and sugar to a boil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Vigorously whisk in grits until mixture comes back up to a boil, reduce to low, cover and simmer, whisking occasionally and scraping the bottom and sides of the pan to make sure nothing is sticking, until masa or grits are tender and thick, 35 to 45 minutes. Whisk in butter until melted, cover and set aside until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon lard a large skillet over high until you see wisps of smoke coming from the pan. Working in two batches, cook half the shrimp until lightly browned on both sides, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside. Repeat with 1 tablespoon lard and remaining shrimp.
- Reduce heat to medium high and heat 1 tablespoon lard in same skillet and cook chorizo, breaking up with a wooden spoon until no large pieces remain, and cook until browned on one side, about 4 minutes. Transfer to bowl with shrimp.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons lard in same skillet and cook bell pepper, onion, garlic, jalapeño, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, tossing occasionally, until caramelized and tender, 8-10 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until brick red color, about 1 minute. Add wine and deglaze pan, scraping up any browned bits off the bottom and cook until reduced and you can no longer smell any alcohol, 2 to 3 minutes. Add shrimp, chorizo, any accumulated juices, and 1/4 cup water, and cook until sauce is slightly reduced and shrimp is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve shrimp and chorizo over warm masa grits; top with scallions and serve.
Recipe by: Rick Martinez
Rick Martinez is currently living his dream—cooking, eating and enjoying the Mexican Pacific coast in Mazatlán. He is finishing his first cookbook, Under the Papaya Tree, food from the seven regions of Mexico and loved traveling the country so much, he decided to buy a house on the beach. He is a regular contributor to Bon Appétit, New York Times and hosts live, weekly cooking classes for Food Network Kitchens. Earlier this year, he was nominated for a James Beard Award for “How to win the Cookie Swap” in Bon Appétit’s holiday issue.