- Prep time 2 hours
- Cook time 20 minutes
- Serves 6-8
Buttery pastries filled with creamy cheese, warm eggs, and salty bacon. Or without the salty bacon. Or with delicious veggies.
What You'll Need
1 1/2 cups
very cold salted butter, diced
Pinch of salt
Ice water, likely a few tablespoons
Couple of hard-boiled eggs, chopped
Few slices of cheese, your preference (harder cheese work better here) either shredded or sliced
Few slices of cooked bacon, chopped
Everything bagel seasoning, for topping
- Whisk together the flour, salt, and sugar. Cut in the cold, diced butter until the butter is the size of tiny peas. Alternatively, you can do this in a food processor.
- Add the egg to the flour and butter and mix to combine. If using a food processor, pulse a few times.
- Starting with just one tablespoon, add in ice water just until the dough starts to come together. Turn out the dough onto a large piece of plastic wrap, form into a disk, and refrigerate for a few hours.
- After chilling, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the chilled dough from the fridge and turn out onto a lightly-floured countertop. Flour the top of the dough and a rolling pin. Roll the dough to roughly 1/4 inch thick and cut into shapes. You can use a favorite cookie cutter, a sharp knife, a ravioli cutter, a pizza wheel, a bench scraper, a water glass, etc.
- Place the cut dough onto the prepared pan. Add a tablespoon or so of chopped egg, a tablespoon or 1/2 slice of cheese, and a tablespoon of chopped bacon.
- Place a matching piece of dough on top of the bottom piece and press around the edges. Using a fork, lightly press along the edges to seal. Using the same fork, poke a few holes in the middle of the top to let steam escape while baking. For picture-perfect straight edges, use a knife or bench scrape to clean up the edges after sealing with a fork.
- Lightly beat an egg with a splash of water and brush the egg wash on top of the pop tarts. Sprinkle with everything seasoning. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned and the tops are golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool directly on the pan for about 10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.