- Prep time 10 minutes
- Cook time 10 minutes
- makes 2 sandwiches
Imagine if macaroni and cheese and a classic diner melt came together for the ultimate open-faced sandwich. Now swap in some golden, toasted Sara Lee® White Made with Veggies Bread and pre-made cauliflower rice, and you’ve got something truly excellent and made with sneaky veggies. You can adjust the seasoning to your family’s liking and serve as is, or alongside sautéed greens and your favorite protein. Each slice of bread will be overflowing with broiled, cheesy, and creamy cauliflower topping—and that’s exactly how I like my sandwiches. —Caroline Schiff
Test Kitchen Notes
slices Sara Lee® White Made with Veggies Bread
(10-ounce) package cauliflower rice, defrosted if using frozen
1 1/4 cups
grated cheddar cheese, divided
paprika, or to taste
salt, or to taste
pepper, or to taste
- Lightly toast the veggie bread in a conventional toaster for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Place on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the butter. Once it’s fully melted and has started to bubble, add the flour and whisk until it turns into a paste, about 2 minutes. Add the milk and cauliflower rice and whisk until the mixture starts to bubble and thicken (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Turn the heat to medium-low and add 1 cup of cheese, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir for an additional minute until the mixture is thick, fully melted, and well-combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the four slices of bread, about ½ cup per slice—they should be overflowing and gooey. Top with the remaining cheese and transfer to the broiler until bubbling and golden brown on top, about 5 minutes, depending on how powerful your broiler is.
- Remove from the oven, and allow the melts to cool slightly before slicing if desired. Transfer to a plate using a spatula and enjoy this delicious open-faced sandwich.