Magyar (Hungarian) Style Liver & Onions
February 23, 2023
- Prep time 20 hours
- Cook time 15 hours
- Serves 4
Liver of choice Beef, Pork, Veal, Chicken, Goose etc. Tasty with motherland flavors of Hungary. My mother's favorite with a few tweaks.
Mostly served as an entree, but does very well as an appetizer or side dish.
Works well served with a gravy made from pan drippings and Brown Rice or a Spinach / Kale wide Pasta.
What You'll Need
whole wheat, rice or other flour
liver of choice, sliced strips, 1/4-1/2" thick, 1/2-3/4" wide, 2-3" long
medium body red wine
Spice mix, Paprika, Garlic, Parsley, Salt, Black Pepper, Pepper Flakes, Marjoram. Made to taste
condensed milk or 1/2&1/2
- Dust Liver with Paprika and flour.
- Cut into strips, 1/2 as thick as they are wide.
- Mix wine and Worcestershire in a closable glass container. Add Liver strips
- Marinate for 1-24 hours
- Mix dry ingredients well, place in a dish for coating Liver.
- Take Liver straight from marinade to flour, coat well and pat flour on the strips lightly.
- Heat Butter and Coconut Oil @ medium heat until hot enough to quick fry Liver. Preferably large enough pan to fry all the liver at once.
- Place flour Liver strips in the heated oil, turn once in 3-4 minutes. Remove onto raised screen or drying media (paper towels, etc.)
- Add milk to leftover dry ingredients, mix well. Pour marinade into pan with oil and fry crumbs. Mix well. Stir in slowly milk mix and stir until thickened to preference. Add water as needed for desired consistency.
See what other Food52ers are saying.