Author Notes: I have eaten many different types of spinach & artichoke dips in more places than I want to remember. The one thing that always stood out was the sauce overtook the taste of the spinach. Being one of my favorite-type dips, I thought about using a different type of green. Collards came to mind immediately. Once I had that idea in mind I had to formulate the rest of the dip. Pimenton cheese was my next thought and of course bacon or ham hocks and for the creamy, cheesy part....good ole cream cheese. Once I cooked the collards, the rest was mix and bake. —Stockout
1 cup frozen collard greens
1 cup beef broth
4 slices applewood bacon, cut into lardons
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 whole pimentos, minced
6 ounces cream cheese
5 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- Saute bacon, remove and reserve. Meanwhile, steam the collards for 30 minutes to defrost.
- In bacon fat, saute collards, add sugar, vinegar. Once sugar is dissoled, add beef broth, cover and simmer until all liquid has evaporated.
- Mix half the pimentos with the cream cheese and blend in the hot collards.
- Add the jack cheese and spoon into an oven-proof baking dish and bake at 425 for 20 minutes until edges are bubbling. Sprinkle other half of pimentos on top and serve.
- Serve with pitas, toasted bread or crackers.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dip