Author Notes: This simple, elegant & delicious dessert was inspired by Simply Recipes' "Cardamom Citrus Fruit Salad".
Toasted distachios add some much-needed texture and the citrus and spice combination tickles the palate pleasantly!
Despite it's lightness, this dessert is perfect for winter as it uses seasonal citrus & the spices create a warming sensation in the body. —steffsays
tablespoon ground cardamom
teaspoon ground cloves
pinch sea salt
cup pistachios, chopped
- Peel grapefruit and oranges. Carefully cut them into segments, place in a bowl & reserve any juice from this process.
- Pour the reserved juice into a small saucepan. Add the honey, cardamom, cloves and salt.
- Heat the honey mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn off the heat and let the honey mixture cool to room temperature.
- Dish the fruit segments into serving bowls and pour the honey mixture over them.
- Chill the bowls in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes before serving. Even longer in the refrigerator is better!
- While the bowls are cooling, lightly toast the chopped pistachios in a dry pan over medium heat until they just begin to become fragrant. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the pistachios to a bowl to prevent further cooking.
- Top the dishes with toasted pistachios just before serving and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom