Author Notes: This is a recipe from my maternal grandmother. Her hand-written copy of the recipe actually calls for "oleo." I love it! These were my all-time favorite cookie or bar as a child and I used to make them for every bake sale or club meeting in high school and college. People go nuts for them. They are achingly sweet, but hey, sometimes that's what you need. —ekpaster
Makes: 20 bars
cups all purpose flour
cup butter, unsalted
cup granulated sugar
cups brown sugar
teaspoon vanilla extract
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter with 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, reserving the egg whites, and the vanilla extract.
- Sift dry ingredients three times and gradually add to the butter mixture.
- Press dough (it will be slightly stiff) onto a greased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the dough and press them in slightly.
- In a clean, dry bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. Add brown sugar and beat well. Spread egg white mixture on top of the chocolate chips.
- Bake approximately 20 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.