Author Notes: This is a recipe from my Swedish grandmother. This is a Christmas cookie. My mother bakes them in massive quantities all December long and gives them to friends and neighbors. People look forward to receiving their cookies all year! This is a refrigerator cookie. You make the dough one day and cook the cookies the next day. Do be sure to use light cookie sheets and watch the cookies carefully. They will burn. —ekpaster
Makes dozens of cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light molasses
- 31/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, chopped
- Cream butter and sugar. Add molasses.
- Sift dry ingredients and gradually add them to the wet ingredients. Add chopped almonds and combine. Dough will be somewhat stiff.
- Divide dough in two. Roll each half into a log and wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350. Slice cookies and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly brown but not burnt. Cool on racks.