Author Notes: I have been adding cinnamon sticks to my roasted potatoes since reading Melissa Clark's recipe in the NY Times this past November. Inspired by this week's theme, I decided to add some cardamom to my potatoes this week, and I was not disappointed! These potatoes are wonderfully fragrant and savory. —kechin
pounds potatoes (red or yukon gold)
tablespoons olive oil
teaspoon cardamom seeds
salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut potatoes into bite-sized chunks.
- On the stovetop, heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the cinnamon sticks, cardamom seeds, and cardamom pods. Stir and heat until the cinnamon sticks begin to unfurl. Be careful not to burn your spices! Remove pan from heat.
- Toss potatoes with the oil, cinnamon, and cardamom mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer potatoes to a baking dish. Place in oven for 40 minutes, occasionally opening the oven and tossing the potatoes so that all the sides become golden.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom