If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Food52 Review: A quick dessert that looks and tastes impressive. And if you've never made caramel before, no fear. Just cook the sugar over medium heat, stirring occasionally, and as it begins to melt, start paying close attention. Gently swirl the pan, keeping it in contact with the burner, so that the sugar cooks evenly. You'll see it turn from light and golden to a deep, rich amber, nearly brown. When it turns this color, act quickly and pour the caramel into your loaf pan; caramel can burn quickly! The flan base couldn't be easier: just dump and stir. The result is super smooth and creamy, with pleasantly subtle notes of cardamom. (If you want a stronger flavor, just add an additional sprinkle.) - Nora —The Editors
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk (1 can)
- 15 ounces coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small saucepan, heat sugar until melted and amber in color. Pour into 9 inch loaf pan and carefully tilt to coat bottoms and sides.
- In a bowl whisk together eggs, coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk and cardamom and pour into loaf pan.
- Make a water bath for loaf pan, with a larger baking pan and hot water that will come half way up the side of the loaf pan containing the flan mixture. Bake at 350 for an hour and a half, or till set.
- Remove from oven. While still quite warm, flip flan, with conviction, onto a serving plate. Serve warm or chilled. Nice topped with a citrus compote.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom