If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Buttery scones with a surprise ingredient -- sour cream! Adapted from Cookie Madness. —freshandfoodie
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- .5 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus extra for sprinkling on top
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- .25 teaspoons baking soda
- .5 teaspoons salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, very cold and cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg
- .5 cups sour cream
- .25 teaspoons vanilla
- .5 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cubes of butter to the flour mixture and using your fingers or a pastry cutter, work the butter into the flour until flour mixture is very coarse.
- In a small bowl, whisk sour cream, egg and vanilla until smooth. Use your hands to work the sour cream mixture into flour mixture until the dough starts to come together. Lightly kneed in the chocolate chips. Once the dough completely comes together, turn it onto a clean surface and shape it into a 7-inch flat circle. Cut the circle in half, then cut each half into 3 or 4 triangles, making a total of 6 or 8 scones (I made 6).
- Put on a baking sheet, sprinkle with granulated sugar and bake until golden. For 6 scones, this will take 20 – 22 minutes. For 8 scones, it’ll take about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.