Author Notes: Inspired by many Chinese tapioca and coconut milk recipes this pudding was created last summer after a raspberry picking party at my friend's home in Brooklyn. Wanting to use the sweet succulent berries fresh the pudding turned out to be the perfect foil for showcasing this most delicate of summer berries.
Tapioca pearls can be found in Asian markets. But they can be substituted with instant tapioca although not tapioca pudding mix from the supermarket. Follow the directions for cooking the instant tapioca. Do not add any custard. Instead mix in the mango purée into the tapioca. Adjust the sweetness as desired. —kianlam
Tapioca and Garnish
- 1/2 cup small tapioca pearls
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 6 raspberries
- 1 kiwi
- 8 ounces fresh mango flesh
- 8 ounces mango flesh
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Soak the tapioca pearls in about 1 cup of water for about two hours. Then bring another cup of water to a boil in a medium pot. Add the sugar to the water and stir until completely dissolved. Then drain the tapioca pearls thoroughly and add to the boiling water. Immediately turn the heat down to low. Stir the tapioca continuously until the pearls are just about done with a small-uncooked white spot in the middle. Turn the heat off and cover the pot for about 20 minutes. The tapioca pearls will continue to cook. Refrigerate when the tapioca is completely cooked.
- Put all the ingredients for the mango purée into a blender and pulse until they are completely blended. Refrigerate the mango purée. Add the mango purée to the tapioca pearls when chilled and mix thoroughly to make the pudding. Keep the pudding refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Cut up the remaining mango flesh into small pieces of about 1/4 inch square and set aside. Peel the kiwi fruit and cut into 1/8 inch thick slices and set aside.
- To assemble scoop about 1/2 cup of the pudding into a small bowl or cup then garnish with the sliced fruits and berries.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pudding