A recipe from my Dutch friend Engeline who I'll help open a food52 account so she can get full credit for her recipes! —Kitchen Butterfly
- Makes 1 large dish
1 kg apples
Juice of one lemon
5 tablespoons caster sugar
2-3 teaspoons cinnamon powder
10-12 pieces of rye bread
2 cups cider (or apple juice)
2 tablespoons (biological) butter
3 tablespoons raisins
3 tablespoons of chopped almonds
400 ml full fat milk
1 vanilla pod
4 egg yolks
120g icing sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
In This Recipe
- MAKE APPLE PUDDING: Take off skin of the apples and cut them in 4 parts. Remove the cores and cut them in nice slices. Put lemon juice over them immediately, before they turn brown.
- Mix the sugar with the cinnamon powder and sprinkle it over the apple slices
- Toast the bread for a few minutes and afterwards process it in the mixer to form crumbs. Remove from the mixer and put in a bowl, then pour the cider/apple juice over the crumbs and stir to combine. Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees C
- Lightly grease a bowl with the butter and make individual layers of the apples, raisins and almonds. Finish off with the soaked bread crumbs
- Dot the top with some butter and bake in the oven for 45 minutes
- VANILLA SAUCE: Put the milk in a pan, then cut the vanilla pod in half, scrape out the seeds and put the seeds and pod in the milk. Gently heat up the milk on low heat till warm
- While the milk is warming, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar till frothy.
- Then to temper the mixture, put a bit of the hot milk into the egg yolks, about 1/4 cup while whisking.
- Add the tempered egg mixture to milk in the sauce pan and whisk well to combine. Continue whisking till the mixture cooks and thickens.
- Serve with the pudding