Author Notes: When we lived in London, I discovered runner beans. They have a wonderful flavor and somehow a small looking bunch seems to turn into a good-sized side dish. this is a simple preperation, with a few varriations. I sometimes add tomatoes, but not always. The dish does need a touch of acid, which teh tomatoes will give it, but a splash of vinegar is good. —innoabrd
bunch runner beans
thick slices of pancetta or good quality bacon
can of chopped Italian tomatoes (optional)
Salt and Pepper
- Slice the beans thinly along the bias.
- In a saute pan, cook the pancetta/bacon over medium/high heat to render the fat, but not crisp.
- Add the onion and saute until translucent.
- Add the beans and turn a few times to coat. Add the tomatoes as well, if using.
- Add the water, vinegar and salt and pepper, quickly cover and turn the heat to low.
- Cook, covered, for 7-10 minutes, until the beans are cooked through, but still have some crunch. Adjust the seasoning and serve.