Author Notes: This decadent chocolate tart delivers. The filling is a sultry combination of cream and bittersweet chocolate. It sits in a chocolate and orange cookie crust and is topped with thinly sliced caramelized oranges. We think it makes a fantastic winter dessert. - Ginger's Kitchen —Ginger's Kitchen
Food52 Review: The creative cooks at Ginger's Kitchen have created a glorious, rich, chocolate custard tart crowned with luscious candied orange slices. This is a show-stopping chocolate dessert and it is well worth taking care with the details. JoanG, who helped out with the tart baking, suggests trying gingersnaps in the crumb crust. —AppleAnnie
oranges or a combination of citrus fruits, sliced very thin (we used 1 kumquat, 1/2 a blood orange, 1/2 a tangelo, and 1/2 navel orange)
(1/2 of a 9 oz box) chocolate wafers
(about 1/2 of a 5.25 oz box) Anna's orange cookies (thin orange wafers)
tablespoons salted butter
cups heavy cream
ounces bittersweet chocolate (not more than 65% cacao), chopped
- CARAMELIZE ORANGES - preheat oven to 350. Spread sliced oranges evenly onto a foil-lined baking sheet. In a measuring cup, add sugar to water and whisk to dissolve. Pour sugar water over sliced oranges. Place in oven and bake 30-40 minutes. Raise temperature to 400. Cook until caramelized, about 5-10 minutes -- monitoring closely, as they can quickly go from caramelized to burned. Reduce heat to 350.
- MAKE CRUST: Place cookies in a food processor and pulse until it becomes like a coarse meal. Melt the butter, and mix the cookies and butter together. Spray a regular pie pan with cooking spray and then press the cookie mixture into the pan - on the base and up the sides.
- MAKE THE FILLING: In a medium saucepan, bring cream to a boil and then immediately remove from heat. Add chocolate and let stand 5 minutes. In the meantime, whisk the eggs, vanilla, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk the chocolate until it is incorporated into the cream. Whisk the honey into the chocolate mixture. Temper the eggs in by gradually whisking in a couple tablespoons of the warm chocolate cream mixture before the eggs are added to the pan of warm chocolate cream.
- ASSEMBLE AND BAKE: Pour filling into crust. Arrange orange slices over the top. Bake until edges are firm but center is still wobbly, about 20-25 minutes. The tart will continue to cook as it cools.
- SERVE: Cool completely so that the tart can set, and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)