Each week, we’ll be sharing a comprehensive list of links to help you master something new in the kitchen. Culinary greatness, here you come.
Today: A guide to all things strawberries.
When it comes to strawberries, it's always a good idea to buy two cartons at a time. You'll go to the market with dreams of muddling them into cocktails, or making strawberry jam to spread on homemade bread, only to realize you've eaten the entire carton before you get home. So do as we do: Buy one to eat now, and one to use in the kitchen later. These links will show you everything you need to know.
- A guide to choosing strawberries at the market. (Bon Appétit.)
- How to salvage strawberries when they're lacking in flavor. (Food52.)
- Did you know that during the Renaissance, strawberries were used to freshen breath? (NPR.)
- Before it gets too hot, roast your strawberries and use them in these recipes. (The Kitchn.)
- How to select, freeze, and bake with strawberries. (Serious Eats.)
Strawberry fans -- share your secrets in the comments!
Photos by James Ransom