🔔
🔎

Bitter Melon. Please discuss.

My doctor recommends bitter melon as a healthy food. So far, I've salted a la eggplant, let drain a while, then simmered in water a while, then added to a stir fry. Not bad. Edible. Well, my husband's portion mostly went on my salad for lunch the next day. What am I missing?

asked by Nora about 3 years ago
Scan0004

Also check Chinese sources -- classic for soup.

Me_by_barbara_tyroler

Thanks for the suggestion. I can imagine it in s hot spicy broth with lots of other things!

Scan0004

Nora, I was thinking of winter melon, but a quick check gave me some cookbook links for bitter melon:
http://www.eatyourbooks...
(disregard the last one -- it doesn't seem relevant)

It is wonderful sliced and sauteed with a bunch of garlic the way my mom does it. I'm salivating just thinking of it. Alternatively, she'll wok it in a bit of oil, broken-up Chinese salted eggs, and a couple small dried red chili peppers. The salty eggs is a great contrast to the bitter melon. I've seen bitter melon with black bean sauce as well but am not a great fan of that prep. BM is definitely somewhat of an acquired taste. My sister and I couldn't stand it when we were kids and now we fight for cold leftovers.

I've also soaked sliced pieces in lime juice before cooking to remove some of its bitter flavor. It is delicious cooked with chorizo and egg (scrambled all together).