A question about a recipe: Turkey Pho

120109f_803

What should I serve for dessert? I'm serving this Pho, with shrimp instead of turkey, for dinner when we have a house guest in a few weeks. The soup will be a one-bowl dinner, after appetizers (yet to be determined . . . FYI, she's a pescatarian). Thanks so much, everyone. ;o)

asked almost 3 years ago
Ehanhan4

I really like citrus and lighter flavors with shrimp and seafood. Since you're going for a one bowl dinner, I'm going to guess you want a pretty straightforward dessert to go with it? Are you looking for something light or more decadent?

Either way, I think this clementine pound cake looks delicious. http://www.food52.com/recipes... You could serve it as is, or toast it and serve it with a compote or whipped cream or whatever for more goodness.

Coconut rice pudding, mango ice cream, a flan or creme brulee accented with tea or star anise? We have made these spring rolls with bananas and chocolate http://www.epicurious.com... and they are always a massive hit; we also serve them with ice cream. As for an appetizer, spring rolls are always popular unless you are afraid of being rice noodle redundant. While they are Japanese and not Vietnamese Onigiri are a lot of fun for an appetizer and you could have all sorts of fillings.

Ehanhan4

Oh coconut rice pudding sounds heavenly!

Summer_2010_1048

Along the same lines, I love this mango/lime curd tart from Martha Stewart: http://www.marthastewart...

Lorigoldsby

Let us know what you pick and how your shrimp pho turn out! I would pick a coconut gelato with a tuile cookie

Lorigoldsby

Granted it's Thai (not sure how "matching" you want to keep it) but I would serve a sticky black rice coconut pudding. I always serve it with bowls of sugar and salt to self serve--because one of the big issues with Asian desserts is that many Americans find them too sweet. When I started salting the Thai desserts I got in Thailand it was a revelation!

Image

I would serve something light and citrus-y--Lazy Mary's lemon tart comes to mind. (And what a good idea, btw, making a shrimp pho. I love that recipe!)

Ry_400

Merrill's lime ice cream with some cookies.

Junechamp

I'd probably go with my "famous" Coconut Pound Cake, because it's so easy to make and everyone always loves it. If you want the recipe, message me and I can post it.

Critus also came to my mind. I'd do Tangerine Mousse (I used to do one from either Chez Panisse Menu or Chez Panisse Desserts, can't remember. But it has raw egg whites so you might want to use pasturized ones. That and little butter cookies or Russian teacakes type cookie.