🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Dough for NY deli-style knishes

I plan to makes knishes tomorrow with a filling of potatoes, caramelized onions and homemade smoked salmon. I've found a huge variation of dough recipes online. Please help point to one that will yield a classic NY deli-style crust.

asked by jwlucas almost 3 years ago
Image

I would totally trust Arthur Schwartz. Here's his recipe for knishes. http://www.cookstr.com...
Have fun!

With all respect to Arthur Schwartz I'll recommend the recipe in Claudia Roden's THE BOOK OF JEWISH FOOD. Also Gil Mark's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF JEWISH FOOD. Both books will give you an exhaustive history of the knish with it's origins in Russia and how it was adapted to the "bigness" that American treatment gives every ethnic food.
Coincidentally I was in New York at the beginning of the month and my hotel was immediately next door to Yonah Schimmel's Original Knishery.

Jwl_001

Thanks you, both. I saw Claudia Rosen's recipe online and will hunt for Gil Makr. Between these great tips, I'm sure I can settle on one.