What's a good substitute for butter when baking healthy cookies

The recipe for breakfast cookies has butter listed as the only oil of the ingredients can I substitute applesauce?

asked by bmalik over 2 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

I wouldn't substitute applesauce for butter. Also butter isn't unhealthy -- you need fat in your diet -- if eaten in moderation.

Supposed to whip the sugars w the butter. Only problem is calls for whole stick of butter. Just trying to make a little healthier

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

You can substitute 1/4 cup fruit puree (I'd go with apple or prunes) for 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter. What you might want to do is halve the butter amount and add 1/4 cup fruit puree. But please take this answer as a suggestion, as I haven't seen your recipe and my suggestion is based on what I've read about substituting fruit purees for butter in baking recipes -- you'll need to tweak as you go.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

One more thing -- if you use fruit puree, you may want to cut back the sugar slightly because the fruit will add its own sweetness. Good luck -- and hope whatever version you go with works out!

I make oatmeal cookies using half canola oil and half applesause. The main difference is that you get a cakey higher cookie rather than a flat one. If you don't mind that, it works great. Part of the function of butter vs. oil in baking is that there is liquid in the butter that " boils" off creating steam.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

The butter also adds flavor, especially around the edges as it browns.

Bigpan

I am not afraid of using butter instead of margarine - especially when you consider it is a little amount when spread out over a number of cookies. Check out the chemical formula for various margarines and not the hydrocarbon chains and transfat chains and you will reconsider using butter.

I tend to use coconut oil, I'd prefer butter, but don't eat dairy.
I figure a treat is a treat, so it should have a great flavor and the right texture because a few really good cookies are much more satisfying than a slew of good for you cookies(my grandma makes cookies with fruit purees instead of fat and a quarter of the sugar. We call them sinkers. They're not bad, they're just more like a horse treat than a human one.).

canola oil has worked for me in the past if you take into consideration the extra liquid