🔔
🔎

Would you recommend adding a portion of semolina flour to the white flour for pizza dough? I was hoping to make the dough smoother and more

asked by DLP almost 3 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Yes -- and when I get back to my laptop later this morning, I'll post a link for a good dough recipe with semolina so you can see the proportions.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Here it is: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

DLP

Thank you so much- I can't wait to try it!

189590_1764963997099_1029093583_32029672_6144913_n

Ok maybe I should search before posting. (I just asked for pizza dough recipes.) Would the world explode if I substituted corn meal for semolina here?

What is the other flour you're using: bread flour or all-purpose?

DLP

all-purpose...

Oh, good. In that case, the semolina (which is in the same range of protein content as bread flour) will give it a nice texture. It's not the best idea if you need a relatively quick dough. But if you have time to say, use sdebrango's all-day rise in the fridge method of proofing/resting, you'll have a great dough. Don't be afraid to bump the water content as well. Higher proteins require higher rates of hydration. If you don't increase the water a bit, you risk toughening the dough. Sheesh, just like life, it's always a balancing act.