Valid in US Only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. Free shipping and discounted gift card offer valid through 11/30 at 11:59pm EST.
🔕 🔔

Whichever flour you choose it should be high in gluten (sorry, faux gluten phobes). A 00 is a good choice. Be sure to give the dough an overnight rest in the refrigerator; and BTW it freezes really well.

Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

This pizza-phile thinks so - see #3:

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Actually "00" is the most refined flour possible, typically used for pastries and pasta. The grade usually refers to how the flour is processed, essentially describing how refined it is, and not how much protein it contains. There are versions of "00" that are high in gluten, for making bread, and low in gluten, for making pasta. Antimo Caputo Chef's Flour contains 12.5 percent gluten, so you are good to go.

I just made the overnight pizza dough with poolish from Flour Water Salt Yeast using 00 flour, and I swear it was the best I've ever made. It came out with great texture, and the flavor was phenomenal. I definitely think the 00 flour helps give it a good texture, and it feels as soft as silk to work with.

Nancy Harmon Jenkins

Nancy is a food writer, historian, and author of many books, her most recent being Virgin Territory: Exploring the World of Olive Oil, forthcoming from Houghton Mifflin.

I was flabbergasted when Neapolitan pizzaioli told me they always use 00 flour for their pizza dough. It seemed much too refined and ladylike for such a robust treatment. On the other hand, they've been in the business a lot longer than I have, so che ne so io, or whadda I know? Personally, even though using 00, I like to add a handful, or two or three, of semolina to the mix to give it a little granular texture. Seems to me more appropriate than silkiness--at least for pizza. Antimo Caputo is the real thing and all of their flours are very high quality. The longer you can let the dough develop (overnight at least), the better the result will be.

Nancy who? No name past that here, but am guessing it's Nancy Harmon Jenkins a genuine expert.

I just bought a 5 lb bag of this flour. I can't wait to try it. Can somebody please post the step by step instructions recipe to make the dough. Thank you so much :)

I've had very good success using a blend of 00 and bread flour.
I use a bread machine to mix the dough for pizza.
1 cup of 00 flour
2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp yeast
1 tsp salt
1 table olive oil

1 cup plus 2 table spoons warm water.

Put the dry in the machine and and mix with the oil. Then add the water.
Let it mix and rise about 1 hour..punch it down and let it rise again. It makes 2 large pizzas.
Divide the dough and store one in the fridge.

I stretch and roll out the dough on the back of a sheet pan.
Sometimes I use the pizza stone...but I've had better success building the pizza on a the back of a sheet pan and putting the entire thing in the oven. After it cooks at about 475. I lift it up and slide a rack under it to help it cool without condensing moisture.

The second ball stored in the fridge gets a longer rest and cold rise. I use that 2 days latter for flat bread---aspeargus and grilled chicken and finish it up with spinach tossed in oil and garlic.

I also find that the above dough recipe makes the very good bread that looks like it came out of wood burning oven. Slightly lower temp for longer--I score the bread to make little bread slices perpendicular to the axis of the bread.

I've tried using it 'straight' but never really got the hydration ratio down with this flour...the mix works for me and doesn't have the 'must have very high' that some people say this dough requires.
In either case...the ratios I posted work for me.
Just the one cup changes the results to make the a great crispy crust.
I use either King Arthur Bread flour, or Gold Medal bread flour---using the scoop and level measuring method.

I skipped a step on making the loaf of bread. Spray with a mixture of olive oil and water before baking putting the hot oven.
Get a simple spray bottle from the dollar store and fill with 1/2 oil and 1/2 water. Just give it a good shake before using. This 1 dollar spray bottle has lasted longer than any other dedicated spray oil 'misters' on the market I've tried.

The pizza just gets a rubdown with olive oil before decorating and baking.

Thank you! I'll try your recipe next time.
I am new at making pizza. I made a crustless skinny pesto/cheese pizza pie before your recipe posted. I did not let the the Kitchen Aid mix the dough long enough and I used a rolling pin! Yikes!!!! The result was a dry crust. The topping was delicious. Lesson learned. I will keep trying different recipes and methods until I get my perfect pizza pie. Thank you again.