🔎

• 6

• 2687

Whichever flour you choose it should be high in gluten (sorry, faux gluten phobes). A 00 is a good choice. Be sure to give the dough an overnight rest in the refrigerator; and BTW it freezes really well.

Sadie_crop
Diana B added over 1 year ago

This pizza-phile thinks so - see #3: http://wellpreserved.ca...

Moi_1
QueenSashy added over 1 year ago

Actually "00" is the most refined flour possible, typically used for pastries and pasta. The grade usually refers to how the flour is processed, essentially describing how refined it is, and not how much protein it contains. There are versions of "00" that are high in gluten, for making bread, and low in gluten, for making pasta. Antimo Caputo Chef's Flour contains 12.5 percent gluten, so you are good to go.

Gator_cake

I just made the overnight pizza dough with poolish from Flour Water Salt Yeast using 00 flour, and I swear it was the best I've ever made. It came out with great texture, and the flavor was phenomenal. I definitely think the 00 flour helps give it a good texture, and it feels as soft as silk to work with.

Stringio

Nancy is a food writer, historian, and author of many books, her most recent being The New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook. She also raises olives and makes oil in Tuscany, providing firsthand experience for her forthcoming book about olive oil.

I was flabbergasted when Neapolitan pizzaioli told me they always use 00 flour for their pizza dough. It seemed much too refined and ladylike for such a robust treatment. On the other hand, they've been in the business a lot longer than I have, so che ne so io, or whadda I know? Personally, even though using 00, I like to add a handful, or two or three, of semolina to the mix to give it a little granular texture. Seems to me more appropriate than silkiness--at least for pizza. Antimo Caputo is the real thing and all of their flours are very high quality. The longer you can let the dough develop (overnight at least), the better the result will be.

paseo added over 1 year ago

Nancy who? No name past that here, but am guessing it's Nancy Harmon Jenkins a genuine expert.