Substituting 100% cacao with what kind of chocolate?

I stumbled upon this gorgeous-looking chocolate mousse cake, which uses 100% cacao (solid, not powder) plus a little over the same weight in sugar. I have semisweet chocolate that I was hoping to use, but I'm not sure how much sugar to add. Any suggestions? Thanks so much! Here is the recipe: http://www.channel4.com...

asked by JuliaB over 2 years ago
3-bizcard

Here is a source that may be helpful to you that Antoniajames posted a while ago. It gives info on chocolae and substitutions etc... Sounds like a deliious recipe.
http://www.foodsubs.com...
I hope its helpful to you.

3-bizcard

Here is the section on substituting semisweet or unsweetened chocolate in a recipe see the last sentence: unsweetened chocolate = bitter chocolate = baking chocolate = pure chocolate = chocolate liquor Equivalents: One cup of chips = 6 ounces Notes: What kid hasn't sneaked a bar of this out of the kitchen, only to discover that unadulterated chocolate is bitter and unpalatable. Some cooks prefer to use it over sweetened chocolate because it gives them better control of the sweetness and flavor of the product. Substitutes: cocoa (One ounce unsweetened chocolate = 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or margarine or shortening or vegetable oil. Using cocoa may leave a powdery taste, but it usually makes the product moister and more flavorful.) OR 3 tablespoons carob powder + 2 tablespoons water + 1 tablespoon butter or margarine or vegetable oil (lower oven temperature by 25 degrees) OR semi-sweet chocolate (1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate = 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate + 1 tablespoon sugar, so decrease the sugar in the recipe accordingl

Jules

Thank you, great suggestion - that is an amazing resource. I might make the batter starting with just a little sugar, and taste. I'll report back, it looks so luscious!

3-bizcard

Let us know how it turns out, it looks amazing!