Using up a truffle

My fiancé picked up some truffles (one black, one white) and I'm looking for more fun ways to use them. He uses them on eggs all the time, but what else? Something kind of special?

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

B5d4c31e d9a4 4f0e ae4e ecaa0cf95de6  dsc 0253 2
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

Clearly you have chosen wisely in the fiance department! Great score! I have prolonged the life of a white truffle that I was lucky enough to get by making truffle butter and freezing some (and using the rest pronto!) It's great on pasta, risotto, etc. Really absolutely anything that is a little bit bland so that the flavor and aroma of the truffles aren't masked. The truffles themselves are the special thing, so I would say chose something simple that you love, and gilt it with truffle shavings (and butter).

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I've used shaved truffle on top of a light pasta - spaghettini. I would simply use a good olive oil on the pasta with a light sprinkle of parma, romano, or asiago. Let the taste of the truffle dominate the pasta.

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

I learned the coolest trick from my brother's friend, who was visiting from Paris. We put a nub of white truffle into a sealed bowl with a dozen eggs for 24 hours (in the fridge), then scrambled them. They were infused with truffle and amazing. Honestly liked it better than the bits we shaved on top, and it stretched further!

39c04017 7e7e 43b2 9344 e529de61a1bd  kandm
Kristy Mucci

Kristen, that's genius!