🔔
🔎

What is the difference in flavor between white and black truffle oils?

asked by flour girl over 1 year ago
Susan.streit
carbonarasuz

Susan is a Recipe Tester for Food52

I agree, most truffle oils are very cheaply manufactured and can have a very strange taste. I prefer to cook with Aux Delices des Bois Truffle Butter, which is available with both white and black truffles. I also find it much more reasonably priced that truffle oil. The only decent truffle oil I have ever found is from The Filling Station in Chelsea Market in New York City. They offer both white and black truffle oils and ship nationally.

Andrew_90x115_2

Sadly from what any top food writer, professional food exec, chefs, etc, the truffle products from Europe are all synthetic flavoring!

When you see in the ingredients ; Amora, essence, extract, etc the are all non food terms and for extract it is impossible to squeeze a truffle; all you'll get are broken truffles.

I have seen and tried truffle oils from daRosario organics, the whole line is USDA 100% Organic and they use real truffles in everything they make.

And daRosario Organics only do organic truffle products.

a couple of companies do a so called "organic truffle oil " and a synthetic one in the same facility. Yeah right! If you believe that one you'll believe anything. You never see an organic milk company also do a conventional milk? Or Organic egg company also do non organic eggs!

I would gravely doubt the couple of companies that do synthetic truffle products and have one organic truffle are the real deal.

I'm no expert, but I can read and figure things out and all these synthetic truffle products really smell in a bad way.

Truffle_oils_2

I would suggest using truffle salt rather than truffle oil for most applications. You can then use a combination of the salt and either olive or a neutral tasting oil, if that is your preference. The versions of truffle salt I've tried have little chunks of real truffle and there is no comparison to the taste versus truffle oil.