How do I cook brown rice successfully in a rice cooker?

asked by fooddork1 over 2 years ago

I've found that brown rice needs more water than you think, and depends on the brand of rice.
Rice cookers are forgiving...if the rice is undercooked after the initial cooking, add just a bit more water and restart the cooker.

Also, a longer soaking time at the start helps.

Thanks so much for your response. Any particular brand of rice you recommend?

Not really...I get Mahatma, or 'china girl' at the supermarket tho. Still for me each bag seems to different in the amount of water it needs....almost every time I make it I always end up giving it a 'second cycle' with a bit more water to get it soft. Another hint: if you're using wild rice in a rice cooker...cook a couple of tablespoons in the rice cooker with water until almost done, and then add more water and brown rice and restart the device. Wild rice and brown rice together need a bit more attention.

Add your answer here

Scan0004

I use the standard 2 parts water, one part rice. Sometimes long grain, sometimes short, and lately I've found some beautiful mixtures of rices from Thailand --- all brown. Even though the rice cooker steams like crazy, it works perfectly. And they're not fancy rice cookers -- I got one around 1975, very basic, and recently found one with a "menu" at a thrift shop for $5, which has a setting for brown rice. Both still work well.

This is the very best way to cook rice taught to me by my dad's wife from Hawaii. It doesn't matter how much rice you use, it works every time. Place the rice in the cooker, rinse, and place your pointer finger on top of the rice lightly. Turn on a light stream of cold water and fill up to the first knuckle of the finger. Keep your finger at the top of the rice. Put the lid on and flip the switch. I'm telling you that it has never failed me on over 20 years of making rice. I've converted so many people to this method. There is never any measuring (except with your finger). It works with any kind of conventional rice, not so much with wild or quick cooking. Good luck!

I'm from Hawaii, and that trick that Jenn.svobo states above DOES NOT work for Brown Rice. Born and raised in Hawaii, we always used the finger trick, but in reality "real Hawaiians" do not eat brown rice and really don't know how to cook it properly. The finger thingy does not work for brown.

I only make brown rice and it works well for me.