🔎

Can I use 2 pork shoulder blade steaks instead of a 3lb shoulder roast?

The recipe I want to make calls for 3lb pork shoulder, either left whole or cut in cubes. They get smothered in chile sauce and cooked slowly in the oven. Boyfriend could only find pork shoulder blade steaks at the store, so he bought two which together weigh roughly 3lbs. Should I use them? If so, leave them whole or cut into cubes? If not, any advice about how to adapt the recipe or what to use them for instead? Thank you!

Miglore

Kristen is the Senior Editor of Food52

Sorry this has gone unanswered -- you can definitely substitute the blade steaks (they're cut from a shoulder blade roast). Personally I would cube them, but leaving them whole would work too -- depending on how you want to serve.

Gator_cake

I'm pretty sure the blade steaks are cut from the same area as a Boston butt so they should be a good substitute. I'd leave them whole or cube them depending on what you're looking for in the end - shredded? chunks? etc...

curious added about 2 years ago

Thanks for the answers; I cut into chunks and it same out great!

Scplogoblog
Slow Cooked Pittsburgh added about 2 years ago

Yes, the blade steaks are from the shoulder/boston butt (we're talking pig here). I think the blade steaks are the most under-rated cut of meat ever, they are a favorite at my house but not always easy to find! My husband's very favorite meal, blade steaks seasoned with salt and pepper, quickly browned, then smothered in gravy (I usually make it with a roux and chicken stock), put lid on and let simmer for 20-30 minutes, serve with mashed potatoes and peas. This is simple food at its very best. (These would have been fine left whole, the bone adds flavor and collagen)