My husband bought pork shoulder "steaks." What do I do with them? They seem fatty - can I just cook them in a cast iron skillet?

asked by dbourdo about 3 years ago

I like to rub them with creole seasoning and let sit for about 30 minutes and then either fry them or throw them on the grill. Extremely easy in this heat!!

i use those for pork and noodles dish. it's a simple recipe that my grandma would make. you can jazz it up. but i make it plain like she made-for nostalgia. this will give you an idea of the braise that works for that cut of meat. chop the steaks as for a stew. fry with onion and celery until caramelized. add water to pan to deglaze and cook the whole thing for hour or so. most of the water will reduce. add cornstarch slurry to make a thicker more gravyish sauce. serve over noodles.

Uruguay2010_61

Your husband did very well indeed . . . this is when pork starts to taste good. Pork loins are only good for bacon. . . . collars, legs, hips are where all the flavour lives. Think of these shoulder chops the same as a rib eye steak from beef. Some fat, but all the flavour. Enjoy

Pork shoulder steaks are the best, I use my bbq seasoning on them and let them sit for 30 minutes or longer. No more than 2 hours. I the throw them on the grill and just before they are finished bast them with some bbq sauce. The fat adds a lot of flavor and the grill adds that great bbq taste.

Google St Louis Pork steaks and you will find lots of recipes, best marinated and cooked on the grill BUT also dynamite to cut in thin pieces and coat in flour and fry like a pork chop LOTS of flavor! enjoy

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870

I love these! The suggestions above are all great. They are also my go to pork cut for a braised dish...mmmm...too bad it's so hot (in Mass).

Farmer's_market

They sound like lamb shoulder - instead of loin -chops.

Anyway, more of a cool weather dish, but pork chops were much fattier when I was a kid and one of my mother's regular weeknight dinners was braising them with lots of onion, garlic, white wine, a little broth, thyme and/or sage,S&P. (And if I recall, always a drop of Gravy Master - 1960's kitchen icon - for richer color.) Really simple and homey - with egg noodles to catch the delicious sauce. I've tried doing this, but pork chops these days are far too (annoyingly) lean to work well. Sounds like these steaks, cut from the shoulder, would be a perfect sub.

Cookie_day_2009_010

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions and ideas!

If you grill them, do it at a lower temp for a longer time to allow some of the fat to render out.